So I kind of exposed myself in my last post. I hoped it would be a bit freeing. I think it was.
A Director from Ryerson's School of Journalism asked me if I would be interviewed regarding the IT GETS BETTER content. I was immensely flattered and really wish I could have contributed, but they wanted to interview me the next day in Toronto.
Anyway, whenever I get the chance to defend something like this, or speak up for the "little guy" I am all over it, so I would have loved to have done it if the timing worked out better.
So, I've felt immensely uncreative lately and have been putting more hours in at work, leaving me really tired and kind of comatose afterwards (well, along with the nausea and all THAT bizznazz).
I thought I would share about how I felt like an utter douchebag at a Halloween party I recently attended. Last year I went all out (the day AFTER Halloween, people, I'm no fool, I buy my shit on sale).
My devilish items included:
- Sub-par polyester red she-devil dress that wasn't revealing
- Black pantyhose with red and gold flames up the side
- Red elbow-length lace-up vinyl gloves (WHAT?!? Every devil has them!)
- A red polyester tail
- A headband with red "devil horns" (or potentially red cat ears, if you were a red cat)
- A full-on, real deal, red wig complete with affixed rubber devil horns
- Crayon make-up to complete the crazy-ass devil look (I was clearly not going for sexy).
So I got dressed up. I even googled YouTube she-devil make-up videos.
(I owned few of the colours and even less of the application knowledge).
I attempted my make-up, and my friend told me I looked like a man trying to look like a woman.
I forged ahead. My company to the party's outfits consisted of:
- Flattering tank top, tight-fitting spandex pants, and accessories to complete the costume
- Flattering tank top, tight-fitting spandex pants, and two accessories to complete her costume
- Dude wore jeans, a plaid shirt, and a hat (promptly removed) as a lumberjack? Hunter? There may have been a tree branch involved.
Okay, no biggie, they went for simplicity. I felt over the top and a little obvious/EXTREMELY RED/dude-like and self-conscious. But alas, not to worry, we were going to a FREAKIN' COSTUME PARTY! Surely I would blend in, in all my hideous red glory? I mean, IT IS HALLOWEEN! You get to basically hide behind a costume, pretend to be something else, that means my day HAD to get better, right?
Hostess greeted us. She was tiny and cute and wearing a short green satin dress with angel? bug? fairy? wings. There was a group photo, but I teeter in my heels, I appear to weigh approximately 150 lbs. more than my companions, and the red is blinding.
|Click to make larger. Not that you need to see me any larger.... but, ya know, to read the text.|
Well, how about the others? The host? He was dressed as a warrior-type dude like in that 300 movie. He did say something not complimentary about my outfit. In front of everyone. I then felt like a douche to the power of 3.
I was then critiqued and insulted at least three more times (before the wine caused memory-retention issues).
Other costumes included:
- Sexy cop in short dress and fishnet stockings
- Sexy duck in short dress with feathery edge and visor-like-head-beak accessory
- Second sexy cop in short dress
- Duck hunter dude (also in jeans, a plaid shirt and a hat. Also some pond-like plant-life accessory)
- Sexy navy girl? in short dress
- Male thief (in form fitting clothing)
- Glen Quagmire from Family Guy (awesome when mask was affixed, indeed)
- Bob Barker (in a more form fitting suit than my own)
- Other things much more flattering, form-fitting, and attractive than a larger-than-life she devil (ME).
I met a lovely girl who was dressed as an electrical outlet. She was the only person there who was wearing something less form fitting than I. I think the host's sister arrived at some point in paper bags (paper bag princess?) but I was really unwell by then so I can't say for sure (and we all know this blog is, if nothing else, HONEST AT ALL TIMES... *snicker*).
In order to maintain anonymity, electrical outfit girl was super sweet and friendly and I hope to chat with her again.... when I am not flaming red and consuming wine on an empty stomach.
SO.... in order to remain cool, remain calm, not feel like a dork-face in a room full of strangers without BF, I did what any level-headed, mature 30 year old woman would do.
|I've borrowed these wicked illustrations by Pierre A Lamielle (waiting for his reply if it's cool, if it isn't, I will remove it) from his awesome blog here: http://kitchenscraps.ca/|
I drank wine when already feeling ill. Felt more ill. HAD TO LAY DOWN IN SOMEONE's BEDROOM at the house, may have visited the porcelain king a time or two, then got in the car to go home.
|Approximation (add more red in your head).|
This is why I need THE MOTHER or BF to supervise me at all times. Even when shopping. We implement that daycare rope thing, just so I don't get lost/lose my shit/get abducted.
|See? I'm safe this way! Image Credit (except for my head, I did that)|
So yeah, fantastic.
I was this.close to getting the sexy, short, Wonder Woman costume, but it was size small and I assume this horrendous health stuff will be at least a little bit better by next year and I will have gained weight back to healthy for me (A.K.A. not gonna fit a small). Either that, or I'll be dead. AIM HIGH!!!! Pin It Now!